BACKGROUND TO THE CONFLICT
At the 1885 Berlin Conference, King Leopold II of Belgium is officially granted personal ownership of the Congo Free State, including its enormous natural resources. After his ruthless and cruel practices come to light, the Government of Belgium takes control from King Leopold and re-names its colony, the Belgian Congo. The country becomes independent on June 30, 1960… CONTINUE
INTERVIEWS FROM THE FIELD
DR Congo. Investigative Journalist & Researcher
Sept 1 2014. Crispin Mvano is an expert in security issues in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and possesses an unparalleled depth of current first-hand knowledge of the myriad of illegal armed groups that operate there.
- DR Congo: The Threat President Kabila Won’t Go
- In the DR Congo, “peaceful” describes horror
- DR Congo. What do the M23 rebels want?
- Rwanda Fuels Renewed Violence in the Congo – Canada Complicit?
- What Canada Can Do to Avert More Violence in the Congo
- After Intense Pragmora Lobbying, EU Agrees to Send Observers to DR Congo Elections
- DR Congo’s democratic vote against democracy